Happy World Photo Day!
Below are a few facts about World Photo Day and how it got started:
- The World Photo Day project started in 2009.
- The first celebration was on August 19, 2010.
- World Photo Day originated from the invention of the Daguerreotype (Which was a photographic process developed by Joseph Nicèphore Nièpce and Louis Daguerre in 1837.)
- The Daguerreotype was the first practical photographic process.
- The French Academy of Sciences announced the daguerreotype process on January 9, 1839.
- The French Government purchased the patent and announced the invention as a gift “Free to the world” on August 19, 1839.
The invention of photography has changed the world. Our society is driven by images and social platforms like Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest allowing us to easily view and share images from all over the world. In a business setting, photo shoots for websites and other marketing materials can have a powerful impact on customers.
In honor of World Photo Day, we want share some of our favorite photos that we have captured during our community publications and client photo shoots. In addition to our talented on-staff photographers, we also included a few favorite photos from our community residents.
Community Photo Credit: Lisa Willey and Grant Long